Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Mango Kulfi


Can we imagine Summers without Icecreams? Nah.....!!!!

In India Summers are synonyms to Ice-creams, Pickles and Papadam. As a child we all grew up eating Kulfis (Popsicles) which we used to enjoy during our long Summer holidays. My mother had a very hard time keeping me at home the moment I would hear a bell of Kulfiwallas.



Usually my mother used to make ice-creams at home but sometimes, we would get "Kulfi" from the local vendors. These Kulfis were carried out in a large earthen pots. Those days I just used to enjoy the taste of Kulfis without any thought of hygiene factor. Things have changed these days and Kulfi's have been replaced by Ice-creams and the so called Kulfiwala's got replaced by the Ice-cream parlors.



In the scorching heat of summer frozen treats and cool beverages give a sense of relaxation. I have already posted few recipes here, you can have a look:
Kulfi is nothing but a frozen creamy milk based dessert. As mangoes are in full swing this summer I thought of making Kulfis and giving it a mango flavor. So, this recipe has the creaminess of milk and bursting with mango flavors. After I had this Kulfi I was back in my childhood days that feeling can never be replaced by the modern icecreams and icecream parlors.

Hope with this recipe I can take you back to your childhood. So, here's the recipe:




Ingredients:

1. Milk: 2 and 1/2 cups
2. Mango Puree: 2 and 1/2 cups
3. Condensed Milk: 1/3 cup
4. Sugar: 1 cup (as per the sweetness of the mangoes)
5. Almond Paste: 3 tbsp
6. Saffron: few strands

Method:

1. Take a heavy bottomed pan add milk and the saffron strands. Bring it to boil and then lower the heat. Let it simmer for 20-25 mins.

2. When the milk is reduced to half then add sugar, condensed milk and the almond paste and again cook it for 5-6 mins.  

3. Turn off the heat and let it cool down.

4. When the milk mixture is cool enough add mango puree to it. Fold the puree into the milk very carefully so that everything is mixed well.

5. Pour this mixture into individual molds or glasses and cover it with aluminium foil. Keep it into the freezer for good 7-8 hours or until they get hard.

6. While serving hold the molds under running tap water for few seconds then gently unmold it. Garnish it with finely chopped almonds and few strands of saffron. Enjoy!!




Note:


For regular updates just click the "Like" button on my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flavors-Of-My-Plate/737185573034586?ref=hl

You can also follow me on:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/flavorsofmyplat

If you want the recipe in Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu (or any other language) click on the Google Translate button on the left side.

No comments:

Post a Comment