Friday, January 16, 2015

Malpua....Sweet Indian Pancakes


As I mentioned in my last post that I'm celebrating "Poush Sankranti" or "Makar Sankranti" on my blog so this will be my last recipe to celebrate the same. We Bengalis celebrate this festival with Pithe-Payesh. Since childhood I have seen my Mom and Grandma to make different varieties of "Pithe". Among them Patisapta (Indian Rice Flour Crepes) and Malpua (Indian Sweet Pancakes) were my favorites. I used to call them Dosa Pithe (as they look like Dosas) and Bhaja Pithe respectively.



I learnt the skill of making Pithe from my Mom. But this year I tried two very unusual Pithes; Hridoy Horon Pithe and Golap Pithe. They not only include cooking but crafting too. As far as their taste is concerned they are ambrosial. I have already posted the recipes of Hridoy Horon Pithe and Golap Pithe. Check them out :)

To wrap up this festival I decided to make Malpua. It is fennel flavored sweet Indian pancakes dipped in sugar syrup and when served with Rabri, believe me its just a slice of heaven. There are many variations and proportions used for this recipe but I'm penning down what I learnt from my Mom.

Let's begin:





Ingredients:


For Sugar Syrup:

1. Sugar: 2 cups
2. Water: 1 cup

For Rabri:

1. Milk: 2 cups
2. Sugar: 1 cup
3. Green Cardamoms: 4-5
4. Saffron Strands: few
5. Almonds (chopped): for garnishing


For Malpua:

1. All purpose flour(Maida): 2 cups
2. Rice Flour: 1 cup
3. Semolina: 1 cup
4. Khoa(solidified milk): 1/2 cup
5. Sugar: 1/2 cup
6. Green Cardamoms(crushed): 4-5
7. Fennel Seeds: 1 tbsp
8. Salt: a pinch
9. Oil: for frying 


Method:


For Making Sugar Syrup:

1. Take a heavy bottomed pan add sugar and water and let it boil on medium heat. Stir in between and remove the scums (if any). 

2. Once sugar is dissolved completely reduce the heat. Keep it aside.

For Making Rabri:

1. Take a pan and heat milk on medium heat. Cook the milk till it is reduced to half.  At this stage add sugar and mix well.

2. Cook the milk-sugar mixture for another minute. Add crushed cardamoms and crushed saffron strands. This will give a nice color to the rabri, keep it aside.

For Making Malpua: 

1. As I used store bought khoa so I first grated and then mashed it. If you are using homemade then you just need to mash it well.  

2. In a deep bowl add all purpose flour, rice flour, semolina, khoa, sugar, crushed green cardamoms, fennel seeds and salt. Give it a nice mix so that all the ingredients gets combined.

3. Add milk to this mixture and mix well till no lumps are visible. The batter should have a pouring consistency neither too thick nor too watery.

4. Heat oil in a kadhai or pan on medium heat. When the oil is hot enough test your malpua batter by pouring a spoonful in hot oil. 

5. If required add more flour or milk (little at a time) to make it thick or thin.

6. When you are satisfied with the batter take a laddle full of batter and pour it into the oil. Fry the malpua till it gets a nice golden hue. Remove them in a palte lined with paper-towel.

7. Dip the malpuas in sugar syrup. The syrup should be warm enough.

8. While serving take out Malpuas from sugar syrup put a generous amount of Rabri on top of it. Garnish with few saffron strands and chopped almonds.

9. Enjoy.


Note:


For regular updates just click the "Like" button on my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flavors-Of-My-Plate/737185573034586?ref=hl

You can also follow me on:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/flavorsofmyplat

If you want the recipe in Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu (or any other language) click on the Google Translate button on the left side.

5 comments:

  1. Oh.. drool.. A fav with the folks at home.. Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet another awesome sweet dish.I love your posts as they contain beautiful items. Love them actually. Once again a big thanks to u for the recipe and procedure. Keep posting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup one more dessert as I have a ginormous sweet tooth anyway thanks a lot for your compliments :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for a very interesting article. I greatly appreciate the time you take to do all the research to put together your posts. I especially enjoyed this one!!
    Seer Murukku USA

    ReplyDelete