Friday, October 10, 2014

Punjabi Chole/ Chana Masala


Nobody makes Chole the way Punjabis do. It is a very popular Punjabi dish. Chole is usually accompanied with Bhature (a fried bread made of flour). Chole-Bhature is a breakfast invented in Delhi after partition and now a days, it is a popular breakfast around Northern India and other parts of the country.

Chole-Bhature is one of my favorite dishes. I had spent 8 years of my childhood in Punjab. We were a family of three; me and my parents. Sundays used to be very special, we would go for an outing and eat those gigantic Bhature with Chole in restaurant. They usually serve them with a pickle made of carrots and cauliflower. 

I wish I could go back in time but you know no one really can. So, here is what I thought, I will give Chole-Bhature a try at home. But somewhere I was not sure whether I can recreate that flavor on my plate or not. After few trials I was able to do so and came up with a recipe which reminds me of my childhood days. Happy to share it with you.



Ingredients:


1. Chickpeas/ Chana/ Chole (Soaked overnight): 2 cups
2. Onions (finely choped) : 1 cup
3. Garlic Cloves: 4-5
4. Garlic Paste: 1 tbsp
5. Ginger Paste: 1 tbsp 
6. Tomato (chopped): 3 
7. Cinnamon: 2-3 (1inch) sticks
8. Cardamom: 4-5
9. Black Cardamom: 2
10. Cloves: 4-5
11. Cumin powder: 1 tsp
12. Coriander powder: 1 tsp
13. Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
14. Kashmiri red chili powder: 1/2 tsp
15. Garam masala powder: 1 tsp
16. Green chilies (chopped): 3-4 (optional)
17. Salt to taste
18. Sugar to taste
19. Oil to cook
20. Cilantro (for garnishing)


Method:

1. Wash and soak the chickpeas overnight in 4 cups of water. 

2. Drain the soaked chickpeas and rinse it once or twice. Add the garlic cloves and enough water to cover it by an inch and pressure cook it for 4-5 whistles. Don't discard the water you can use it while cooking.

3. Take a heavy bottomed pan and add 4 tbsp of oil. When the oil is hot enough add cinnamon, cardamom, black cardamom and cloves. Let the flavors of the spices get infused in the oil but be careful not to burn them.

4. Add the chopped onions and saute them until golden brown. Add ginger-garlic paste and fry them till the raw flavor is gone. At this point add the tomatoes. Cook until the tomatoes become mushy and the oil gets separated.

5. Add turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, kashmiri red chili powder, salt, sugar and mix well. Once you can smell the aroma of the spices add the boiled chickpeas with the water (used while boiling the chickpeas) and green chilies. Give it a good mix.

6. Cover the pan with the lid and cook over low heat for 5-6 mins or until the desired consistency is reached. Check the seasoning and garnish it with cilantro.


7. Serve it with Bhature, Puri, Chapati or Rice.

2 comments:

  1. I don’t know how should I give you thanks! I am totally stunned by your article. You saved my time. Thanks a million for sharing this article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your weblog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing on your feed and I am hoping you write again very soon!

    ReplyDelete